Commemorative medals from points of interest in CZ
coinage 363

Castle Hrubý Rohozec

Státní zámek Hrubý Rohozec
511 01  Turnov
GPS: 50.598404, 15.157641
QR kód obsahuje souřadnice místa pro snadné použití ve vašem mobilu.

The predecessor of Hrubý Rohozec was an early Gothic castle, built on a cliff by the river Jizera sometime after 1300 AD. Its founder was most probably Havel, a member of the Markvatic family. Because of his newly established residence, he subsequently began writing his name along with the mark of nobility "z Rohozce" (of Rohozec).

In the 14th and 15th centuries the tenancy of the castle was passed between a series of families: the Turgov family, the Michalovic family, and the Krajíř family of Krajek. At the beginning of the 16th century Konrád Krajíř of Krajek commissioned the renovation of Hrubý Rohozec into a comfortable late Gothic residence.

In the second half of the 16th century, Hrubý Rohozec became the property of the Vartenberk family, who began to reconstruct it, this time in the Renaissance style, sometime after 1600. Because the Vartenberks took part in an early conflict in the Thirty Years' War - the Bohemian Revolt, led by the Bohemian Estates - their property was confiscated after the Battle of White Mountain in 1620. Albrecht Valdštejn bought the castle in 1623. Mikuláš Des Fours acquired the castle from him in 1628 and it served as a family estate for his descendants for more than three hundred years, i.e. until it was confiscated by the Czechoslovak government in 1945.

Under the ownership of the Des Fours family (from 1831 Des Fours Walderode) the castle, its interiors and grounds were updated according to the family's requirements and contemporary tastes. Hrubý Rohozec was first redesigned in the Baroque style; the interior of the castle's Chapel of the Holy Trinity, fitted with Baroque and Rococo furnishings, was first laid out in this period and has been preserved to this day.  The castle took on its final appearance in the 19th century, when, following the advice of architect Jan Filip Joendel, it was converted to the Empire Style. The Romantic designs from the second half of the 19th century (e.g. the neo-Gothic portal doors leading to the stairs to the castle chapel) did not have a great effect on the overall appearance of the castle.

The appearance of some interiors have been preserved in their nineteenth-century form. Some of the most significant examples are the dining hall with its valuable wall and ceiling decorations in the Gothic Revival style and some of the second-floor rooms decorated in the Rococo Revival style. 

Today the interiors appear as they did in the 1930s, when the estate was occupied by its last but one owner, Mikuláš Vladimír Des Fours Walderode, his wife Gabriela Karolína and their sons Maxmilián and Ludvík. 



pultový prodej
Státní zámek Hrubý Rohozec
511 01  Turnov